We are extremely proud to announce that we have been secretly working on implementing the SMART Health Card Framework in prelink. It could be a first for South Africa?
“SMART Health Cards are paper or digital versions of your clinical information, such as vaccination history or test results. They allow you to keep a copy of your records on hand and easily share this information with others if you choose.”
We initially added support for COVID19 lab test results however, labs or corporates using our LIMS can easy support COVID19 vaccinations as well. It could actually be used for any communicable or infectious disease lab test or vaccination, as long as the SMART Health Cards Framework supports that test and/or vaccination.
prelink interfaces to the National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD) in South Africa so hopefully SMART Health Cards (SHC) will support all of the NICD’s Notifiable Medical Conditions (NMC) in the future.
The SHC Framework Conceptual Model is adapted from the W3C Verifiable Credentials specification and involves an Issuer, Holder, and Verifier. In our case, prelink would be the Issuer, issuing SHC’s, and the patient would be the Holder. They could use one of the many health wallets available, or API’s being built directly in mobile operating systems such ans iOS and Android.
Apple announced native support for SMART Health Cards in iOS 15 and Google has just announced support for “digital versions of either COVID-19 test results or vaccination cards on users’ Android devices”.
The SHC Framework Design Goals include:
- Support end-to-end workflow where users receive and present relevant healthcare data.
- Enable workflow with open standards.
- Support strong cryptographic signatures.
- Enable privacy preserving data presentations for specific use cases.
The SHC Framework uses Elliptic Curve keys (using P-256 curve) to cryptographically sign SHC.
As an Issuer, prelink will:
- Sign SHC VCs (Verifiable Credentials) with a signing key (private key)
- Publish the corresponding public key (public key)
- Wallet Holders and Verifiers then use the public key to verify the Issuer signatures on Health Cards.
prelink will present the patient with a SHC report that will display the data stored within the SHC and a QR code. The patient can then:
- print the report, for presentation of the QR code at a Verifier
- download a .smart-health-card file that can be imported into a Wallet or uploaded into a web portal
- scan the QR code for storing in a Wallet of choice.
The SMART Health Card can be shared, with anyone you choose, by simply letting them scan the QR Code on your printed paper or device screen, or by sending or sharing the file.
Using cryptographically signed, Verifiable Credentials, we can attempt to bring travel, sporting events, music concerts, entertainment events, etc. back to pre-pandemic levels.
The public is, and rightfully so, becoming more aware about their privacy, and all the abuses and unethical behaviour of large systems around the world. The SHC Framework and VC implementation aim to preserve privacy by only including the following:
- patient’s legal name
- date of birth
- specific lab test result(s) or vaccination(s).
It will NOT contain the following:
- contact numbers
- address information
- email addresses
- identification numbers.
We will be announcing something big on this development in the coming weeks.